Monday, February 12, 2018

Rick sisters

I was never in a sorority in college -- they didn't accept fat girls -- but as an adult, I'm in a sorority of women who love Rick Springfield. I'm going to see him in a couple weeks (7th time) and 7 times is really low among some of these women. LOL Kim and I have seen him going on 4 times together. We're saving our pennies to meet him someday with backstage passes.

I posted in one of my Rick groups on Facebook about having lost my "Rick Springfield Fan" car magnet in a car wash, and asked where I could get another one, because they weren't for sale on the merch site anymore. Someone responded to me and said she would be glad to send me hers, free of charge. That's a Rick sister for ya.

I work at a restaurant in a hotel literally across the street from one of the Mayo Clinic hospitals, and half a block from the main building. Frequently, I see people at their worst. You don't come to Mayo Clinic unless you are very seriously ill or need specialized major surgery. The stress is amazing and many people don't respond to it well. They can be incredibly rude and hostile and demanding.

But my new Rick sister, Mary Ann, reminds me that people also can be very kind. I just did the Polar Plunge, jumping in a frozen lake to raise money for Special Olympics Minnesota. I raised close to $800 among my friends and family. It's a reminder that not everybody is an asshole. I need reminding of that now and then. It gives me something to aspire to as well -- to not be an asshole even if that would be the easy thing to do.

No comments: