Saturday, April 25, 2009

whoda guessed?

So today was the semi-annual household hazardous waste disposal day at the fairgrounds. I got there about 9:45 (started at 9) and the line was already ridiculous.

While it's a lovely service to have, it could have been better directed -- none of the volunteers seemed to know what the others were doing.

On the way out, though, I ran into (not literally :-) the police chief, who was out there being a sport and directing traffic. Wayne Nehring may well be the world's nicest human being. He has none of the 'tude one usually finds in cops and was always very friendly and helpful when I needed to work with him on a story. Plus, he'd sit and chat with me for a bit about whatever anytime I had to go do the routine cops check when my officemate was off.

Anyway, seeing him made me realize there are things I'm actually going to miss about this place. Like the non-surly cashiers at the grocery store. (Especially impressive because they're almost all teenage kids, and are unfailingly smiling and polite. It's the *adult* cashiers who are surly.) Other things too, but I'm trying not to think about it.

Who knew?

No comments: