Thursday, November 13, 2008

a voice cries out in the wilderness....

...and it's mine. Asking, "WHEN WILL IT END????!!!!!"

This afternoon I attended a workshop for "displaced workers," as we are so charmingly, euphemistically called by the government.

Two things:

1) THE FARKING TV STATIONS SHOWED UP TO FILM.

But wait! There's more! They had the audacity to ask if any of us WANTED TO GO ON CAMERA TO TALK ABOUT IT.

Oh, yes, thank you -- none of us is terrified, depressed, angry and embarrassed -- we'd LOVE to show our faces throughout the entire region talking about our inability to maintain employment.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

2) It keeps happening!

At the end, the woman sitting next to me tapped me on the shoulder and said my name. I turned, she introduced herself and said, "I'm a Leader-Telegram subscriber, and I always really enjoyed your stories. I'm really sorry to see you here."

Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy compliments as much as the next person. But DANG, if ever there were a good time to have an anonymous job, this would be it. I went to a book reading/signing Monday night, and once a former mayor "outed" me, there were as many people in line to talk to me as there were to talk to the author! And, since the paper buried its "workforce reduction across the company" in a 2-paragraph brief somewhere near the classifieds, nobody saw it, so nobody knows I'm unemployed. It's awfully awkward!

Add in the gray, rainy day and I really should have just stayed in bed.

----------------
Now playing: Beastie Boys - Funky Boss
via FoxyTunes

No comments: