Thursday, October 16, 2008

why small-town living sucks

1. Everybody knows you.
2. Everybody knows you.
3. Lack of diversity and cultural opportunities.
4. There is something horribly wrong when you have lived in the country long enough to associate the overwhelming scent of cow poop with pleasant memories.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. But it's the everybody knows you one that's getting me. I suppose its corollary would be "why getting canned sucks" (aside from the obvious financial aspect), and that would be because everybody knows you and so they know you got canned. Which makes life incredibly awkward.

I ran into one of our county judges at Mickey D's this afternoon. I tried as hard as I could to avoid him, and he did have the decency to not try to approach me. Ordinarily I like the guy and I would have been happy to chat him up, but things are just in that weird stage for me right now and I don't want to deal with it.

Corollary 2 is "getting canned makes it immensely awkward running into now-former coworkers." I bumped into one in Younkers (dept. store) last week. She was very kind, but it was still horrible. And I rsvp'd for another's wedding reception this Saturday, back when I was still employed, and now I'm wondering: Should I be rude and not show up and cost him money, or should I go and have a bunch of people not know WTF to say to me and make us ALL feel bad? Not to mention it's a dessert buffet, which would be right up my alley if I weren't now diabetic.

Sigh. Where's Miss Manners when you need her?

No comments: